Monday, October 31, 2005

IKEA and Moving within Sweden

Now that I am in Sweden for 2 weeks I get to experience what it is to move within Sweden. With my wife and her kids we move from her current appartment to a new appartment, something I would call a townhouse. And what struck me was the same weirdness that I remembered from when I was living in the Netherlands and that is the stripping of all items in an appartment. All light fixtures are gone all blinds are gone including the curtain rails etc. when you get the keys of your appartment. So the first thing you have to do is restore what the previous owners took with them. And that is when I figured out that it must be IKEA's idea to have it that way. Because on Saturday we went to IKEA (what other store is there?), and there I experienced something I only know from TV in countries like Russia: in the middle of the day we had to stand in line to enter the IKEA store. It was like getting into an amusement park. They had a big gate rolled down halfway.. first I thought there had been an accident or a fire.. but no, it was as it was explained on a sign (which indicates this happens on a regular basis) that for the "safety" of the customers they don't let in more than a certain number of people in the store. So when the number had gone down they opened up the gate and let in this huge line of people at the same time. (I guess that was a safe thing to do???). Anyway we did our shopping, got some of our curtains and things we needed but with these crowds of course a number of things were sold out and now we have to wait for it to arrive in the store again. Looks like IKEA will be ruling our lives now.

4 Comments:

At Mon Oct 31, 04:10:00 AM PST, Blogger Agnes said...

Holy cow! Is IKEA owned by Wal-Mart? Monsters of the corporate world.
IKEA opened here in Dallas a few weeks ago and you would have thought time stopped for them. I was shocked.
I've been to IKEA once. I am terribly sorry but I just do not get it. Maybe I have enough furniture and I don't see the big deal.

I guess that fire law, letting so many people in at once, is so they will have an accurate body count if something goes wrong. ICK!

 
At Mon Oct 31, 08:56:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Välkommen till Sverige! You're here already, woo!!

I've never experienced something like that at IKEA, and I live in the city!

Twice int eh past couple of years there have been trampling incidents at IKEAs around hte world. I would assume that is why they do that gate thing now. But still, I live in Stockholm any never experienced such a thing!

 
At Fri Nov 04, 01:01:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha holy shit, I thought Ikea was crowded here. The worst thing I've ever experienced was having to stand in line for the register for 45 minutes. But this... But yeah, what else is there. Especially in Sweden, I take it Ikea rules the country.

Good luck with all that!

 
At Tue Nov 08, 04:13:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-

Will they let you order online and then deliver? I like that option better. Hell, I'd rather order online from any of the stores in the mall and have it delivered than brave the fools at the mall!

-A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home