Monday, July 11, 2005

The 2005 California quarter

Today I discovered what the California quarter will look like that this year will be released. Maybe it is old news and I just never saw it, but I liked my discovery and felt the immediate urge to place the quarter here on this blog.

This quarter is the 31st in the United States Mint's 50 State Quarters® Program. California was admitted into the Union on September 9, 1850, becoming our Nation’s 31st State.

What I like a lot about the quarter is that for once it is not the Golden Gate bridge that gets all the attention, but California’s quarter depicts naturalist and conservationist John Muir admiring Yosemite Valley’s monolithic granite headwall known as "Half Dome" and also contains a soaring California condor.

Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and having that on "our" quarter is something that makes me feel a little bit proud.

1 Comments:

At Wed Jul 13, 10:13:00 AM PDT, Blogger Kimmee & Krissteen said...

I agree completely! I love Yosemite and miss it terribly. I used to go camp there as a child every summer. My grandparents would pack us all up into their motor home and take us up there to spend the entire summer. I hope to take my kids there in the next couple years so they can enjoy the beauties of Yosemite as I did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home